|Player:||ME Trescothick, A Flintoff|
|Event:||England in Pakistan 2005/06|
DateLine: 11th November 2005
Superstar all-rounder Andrew Flintoff wants to lead England one day but was happy not to be handed the job after injury ruled Michael Vaughan out of the first Test in Pakistan.
England instead turned to Marcus Trescothick and Flintoff admitted: "I'd like to be captain one day if it came around - we'll have to wait and see what happens.
"But at the moment I don't think I would be able to do the job as any sort of long term appointment.
"I have so much on with my own game. I enjoy what I'm doing now playing under Vaughany. I'm always involved in the game with bat, ball and even standing at slip. Although I'd do it if I was asked, of course I would."
Flintoff, speaking to The Sun newspaper, said the England squad faced a test of their ability to operate without Vaughan's much-respected leadership.
"Losing Michael is a big blow - he's an unflappable character and a superb tactician.
"He has our complete respect and does not have to resort to shouting, screaming or waving his arms about.
"He's our leader, isn't he? He takes us out on the pitch - and we're all behind him.
"In his absence, the rest of the side will have to show the strength of character we have shown so often in the past couple of years.
"We're lucky to have Tres to stand in - he knows what he is doing and it's not as though he is going in cold. We'll get behind him as much as we have Vaughany."
(Article: Copyright © 2005 AFP)
- Asian Cricket Council Western Region Twenty20 2019/20
- Australia in South Africa 2019/20
- Bangladesh in Pakistan 2019/20
- England in Sri Lanka 2019/20
- Germany in Spain 2019/20
- Hong Kong in Malaysia 2019/20
- ICC Women's Twenty20 World Cup 2019/20
- ICC World Cup League Two 2019 to 2021/22
- India in New Zealand 2019/20
- Ireland in India 2019/20
- Malaysia in Hong Kong 2019/20
- New Zealand in Australia 2019/20
- South Africa in India 2019/20
- West Indies in Sri Lanka 2019/20
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2019/20
View all Current Events CLICK HERE