|Player:||Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Akhtar|
|Event:||Asia Cup 2010|
DateLine: 3rd June 2010
The recently appointed Pakistani skipper Shahid Afridi said that he saw a definite role for Shoaib Akhtar in the shorter formats of the game. Afridi told reporters that Akhtar had assured him he only wanted to focus on his cricket after a long lay-off from international cricket.
"We definitely see a role for Shoaib in ODIs and T20 cricket and we want to give him a chance in these formats of the game," Afridi said.
Afridi, appointed captain for the Asia Cup and full tour to England, however, did not make any mention of whether Akhtar would be considered for the six Tests in England.
Akhtar, 34, has not played for Pakistan since May last year due to disciplinary and fitness problems. He also underwent a knee surgery in England last year. But he has made a good impact in domestic cricket in recent months.
He has been named in a shortlist of 35 players but his final selection will be subject to his clearing a fitness test.
Afridi said the players should now forget the recent controversies in Pakistan cricket and focus on the coming assignments.
"Whatever has been said in the recent past is now history and we now need to put everything behind us and play like a unit," he added.
- Bangladesh in India 2019/20
- England in New Zealand 2019/20
- ICC Women's Championship 2017/18 to 2020
- ICC World Cup League Two 2019 to 2021/22
- India Women in West Indies 2019/20
- Kwacha Twenty20 Cup 2019/20
- Kwacha Women's Twenty20 Cup 2019/20
- Pakistan in Australia 2019/20
- South Africa in India 2019/20
- Sri Lanka in Pakistan 2019/20
- West Indies in India 2019/20
View all Current Events CLICK HERE